Agent forwarding failure when the socketdir was autodeleted

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Oct 5 19:46:51 CEST 2016

On Wed 2016-10-05 03:42:21 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue,  4 Oct 2016 20:49, aheinecke at intevation.de said:
>
>> My current workaround is to connect first and start dirmngr on the remote
>> machine (to get the socketdir created and used). And then connect with ssh
>> socket forwarding. This is a bit clunky to use.
>
> You may use
>
>   gpgconf --create-socketdir
>
> to create the directory w/o running any daemon.  It is a NOP if the
> directory already exists.

The trouble is that the socket directory needs to be created before ssh
tries to forward the socket.  when doing a forward from the command
line, the ssh channel that does socket forwarding is often established
before the channel that runs any shell or other interactive behavior.

I really think this ought to be handled in OpenSSH.

  --dkg