Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 157, Issue 15

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Oct 14 02:59:26 CEST 2016

On Wed 2016-10-12 21:27:38 -0400, Nicholas Strauss wrote:

> Hi dkg,
>
> $ md5sum pinentry-gnome3
> cf267ac78545eb9c3744b962082d4110  pinentry-gnome3
> Look good?

sorry, i'm confused, and i don't have the context for this, or why
you're asking me in particular on the gnupg-users mailing list.  Can you
explain what you're asking about?

if you're asking whether that's the "right" md5sum for the
pinentry-gnome3 binary (i.e., /usr/bin/pinentry-gnome3), all i can tell
you is that it doesn't match my binary.  but this isn't a useful
question for a bunch of reasons, including:

 * you might have a different operating system than i do

 * you might have a different hardware platform than i do

 * either you or i might have built the binary independently or with
   different options

and so on...

if this is related to your earlier question about symlinks(?) that i
also didn't really understand, i'm still puzzled.

What problem are you trying to solve?  What behaviors have you observed?
What behaviors were you expecting to observe?  What debugging steps have
you tried?

here are some useful pointers for effective bug-reporting:

confusedly yours,

     --dkg