using with su/sudo

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 18 03:19:55 CEST 2016

On Sat 2016-10-15 11:34:14 -0400, John Lane wrote:

>> Then, the command "updatestartuptty" can fix the situation.
>>

> I tried this and it worked, in a su/sudo I had to do this:
>
>     $ script -q -c '(gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye; ssh-add
> alice.subkey)'

so the use of script here is to allocate a new pseudoterminal, to get an
independent tty, right?

this seems like a pretty roundabout way to get the result the user is
naively looking for.  is it possible that we could offer some other
easier/simpler mechanism for users invoking gpg-agent for its ssh-agent
emulation across user accounts?

      --dkg