reviewing wiki / shortlist PIN-pad readers

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Wed Oct 19 14:15:00 CEST 2016

Werner Koch:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 13:11, stebe at mailbox.org said:
>
>> For example, The Nitrokey Storage (1,2), a usb crypto stick with
>> integrated card reader) is 100% open source, free software, verifiable
>> firmware. On the other hand, it has no pinpad.
>
> and using a proprietary card for the reader ;-)

Unfortunately, yes. At the time I was interested in beginning to use a
smart card, my focus was on the USB tokens, as I wanted to have a device
where card and reader are integrated. At that time, I didn't know of any
free software implementation other than this (which is only partially
resolved, it's true), and I did/do have a particular threat model. With
NK Storage, it should be easy to exchange the cards. On the other hand,
everyone has to know the budget he/she can spend on new devices every x
months. I'm unemployed at the moment, so I can't whitewash my free
software chemise that quickly and will have to wait a bit...

Cheers (another cup),

Stephan