Keybase integration with GnuPG?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Sep 9 22:46:59 CEST 2016

> Are there any current plans to integrate Keybase.io into GnuPG at some
> point in the future?

(ObWarning: I am not a GnuPG developer.)

I think this is unlikely to occur.  Werner's spoken out pretty strongly
against the keybase.io model, which relies heavily on social media outlets
like Facebook to provide confidence in an identity.  However, few people in
the privacy community like or trust Facebook, which makes relying on
something like keybase.io problematic -- it looks too much like GnuPG is
encouraging the use of a platform (FB) that it's philosophically opposed to.

The counterargument is that keybase.io works just fine with several other
back-ends which are more respecting of privacy -- and if a user wishes to
trust FB, why should GnuPG refuse to honor that user's choice?