What happened to this signature?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 11 23:50:15 CEST 2016

On Sunday 11 September 2016 21:17:31 Moritz Klammler wrote:
> Today, I've posted a signed message (OpenPGP MIME) to a public
> mailing list I'm subscribed to.  When it was delivered back to me,
> the signature was broken.  I investigated the case and found out that
> some silly MTA had un-escaped a minus-character in the message body
> (quoted-printable) and added a blank line at the top.  This is
> annoying but is adequately explained by stupidity so it didn't alarm
> me.  Similar things have happened to me many times in the past.  What
> *did* alarm me is that a further investigation reveled that the
> signature itself was changed, too.

A possible explanation which does not involve any conspiracies would be
that Gnus, for whatever reason, signs the copy of the message that is
stored in the sent folder (which, I assume, is where you've got the
"original, good, signature" from) separately from the copy of the
message that it sends.

Regards,
Ingo