What is a reliable way to backup/restore my keys and test?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Sep 14 22:24:01 CEST 2016

Thanks for the very thorough walk-through, Robert.

Perhaps GnuPG ought to produce some kind of interchangeable backup
automatically on its own that it can re-consume, so this kind of
involved process isn't necessary.

A couple notes below:

On Wed 2016-09-14 15:01:47 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> The following is the procedure I use on UNIX systems:
>
> First, export all public certificates into a public keyring:
>
> 	$ gpg --armor --export > pub.asc
>
> Second, export all secret certificates into a secret keyring:
>
> 	$ gpg --armor --export-secret-keys > priv.asc

the above two steps should include the arguments "--export-options
export-local" just before "--export".

> Import your secret certificates:
>
> 	$ gpg --import < priv.asc
>
> Import your public certificates:
>
> 	$ gpg --import < pub.asc

The above two steps should include the arguments "--import-options
import-local" just before "--import".

hth,

        --dkg