Signing and symmetrically encrypting files

Arbiel (gmx) arbiel.perlacremaz at gmx.fr
Sat Sep 17 22:40:43 CEST 2016

Hi Bernhard

I eventually changed my mind as I have'nt found out how to extract the
source document from a signed one.

So I decided to procede with detached signatures applied, as you
suggest, on the source documents and not on the crypted ones.
Regarding asymmetric versus symmetric cryptography, I stick with the
latter one, which allows me to crypt a document only once with a single
key, a "document-key", and either transfert the asymmetrically crypted
document-key to recipients whom I know their public keys, or its
symmetrically crypted value with a permanent password specific to each
of the others recipients I share their passwords with. I don't know yet
how to share and manage these passwords.

I finally download on the public server an archive containing the
document-key symmetrically-crypted document, the clear document
signature and the bunch of asymmetrically or symmetrically crypted
document-keys, and send messages, "release notifications", to inform the
recipients a new document has been released on the server.

I'm still wondering how each of them will know the specific file they
have to uncrypted to get the document-key. That is, I haven't yet
figured out whether or not to keep the list of recipient secret. I can
obviously consider to provide the information in the
release-notification e-mail, but I don't know if e-mail clients can
handle symmetrically crypted messages.

Thank's again for your help.