gpg: signing failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Error Message on Linux

Jim Ernst jernst at invacarecontractor.com
Fri Sep 30 19:11:19 CEST 2016

Hi Werner and Justus - thank you for the info !!

Is this issue normally associated with a --passphrase-fd 0 command being used with gpg2? I am doing the following:

    v_recipient='RECIPIENT'
    v_passphrase=`cat  pfile.txt`
   /usr/local/bin/gpg2 --batch --local-user $v_recipient --passphrase=$v_passphrase --output $<output file name>  --sign <signed file name>

And it is erroring with :

gpg: signing failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I was figuring this was not even trying to utilize any kind of STDIN since it was in --batch mode and not using the "passphrase-fd 0"....

Thanks!!
Jim Ernst