Smart card

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:22:12 CEST 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
>> What do you mean by "will be better served by avoiding them"? What's the
>> reservation?
>
> Imagine we're in a restaurant and you ask me, "Should I order the
> pizza?"  Well, beats heck out of me.  I don't know you from Adam, I
> don't know your personal tastes, I don't even know if you're hungry.  So
> I shrug and say, "Sure, if you like pizza."  You may think that's a
> useless answer, but the question was no champ, either.

      I think a better example would be "I've never ate a pizza
before. Should I try it?"

> Should you get a smartcard?  Sure, if you need one.  But I don't know
> how you expect me, or anyone else here, to be able to give a more
> precise answer than that.  Only you can make those decisions about your
> local security policy.

      On the OP's defense, I do not think he understands enough of
multifactor authentication in general and smartcards vs other
alternatives specifically to answer the question. And this is probably
what he had in mind with his rather poorly worded original question.

> Smartcards haven't fallen out of vogue, but they're also not useful to

      I will add that the "Are smartcards out of vogue?" question has
an loaded question taste to it. So, Will, what made you conclude that
smartcards are going the same place as 8-track and Betamax tapes?