Smart card

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Apr 11 13:21:59 CEST 2017

> What if it's your business that's the target of tier 1 Western
> Intelligence actors who are interested in collecting intelligence on
> said target so as to bestow competitive advantage to your competitors
> for whatever the reason may be?

I'm going to give two answers here, one human-readable and one which
will require a fairly high level of technical knowledge.

=====

You haven't heard me talk about intelligence agencies for a simple
reason: the capabilities of private sector groups match or exceed those
of nation-states.  For instance, Google's been defending their networks
against sophisticated Chinese attacks for so long that it wouldn't
surprise me one bit if Google had an in-house team capable of playing
the game with anyone.

That said: effective defense is built upon knowledge.  Knowledge informs
your threat model and helps guide your responses.  Extremely serious
attackers will be single-mindedly obsessed with denying you this
knowledge.  That's part of what makes defending against them so
difficult: if you don't know you're under attack, you're extremely
ill-equipped to defend.

I am not especially worried about so-called "advanced persistent
threats".  When I hear someone say their IDS is going off hundreds of
times a day with IP addresses resolving to China, I yawn.  That's not an
advanced threat.  (Persistent, maybe.  Not advanced.)  An advanced
threat is one that doesn't set off the IDS, one you don't see coming,
one you don't get the opportunity to stage active measures against.

=====

Now for the technically challenging stuff: Lockheed Martin wrote a
*fantastic* whitepaper on defending against advanced threats.
"Intelligence-Driven Computer Network Defense Informed by Analysis of
Adversary Campaigns and Intrusion Kill Chains".  Read it.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/corporate/documents/LM-White-Paper-Intel-Driven-Defense.pdf

  My explicit assumptions for such a