Question on Putty and gpg-agent

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 13 13:06:32 CEST 2017

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:42:57 -0400, Antony Prince stated:

>My old key is expiring at the beginning of next month, so I've
>generated a new set of keys. Dropped down to 2048 from 4096 RSA since
>4096 seemed a bit of overkill and have the master key in a single
>location. That's a different discussion. Anyway, using my new
>Authentication key on Linux with SSH seems to be going okay. A few
>issues with ssh-agent being present, etc. All that seems to be working
>okay now. The issue I'm having is using Putty and gnupg on Windows.
>The versions are:
>
>OS: Windows 7 SP1 x64
>Putty: 0.63
>
>C:\Users\antony>gpg --version
>gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.20
>libgcrypt 1.7.6
>Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
><https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
>Home: C:/Users/antony/AppData/Roaming/gnupg
>Supported algorithms:
>Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
>Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
>        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
>Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
>
>C:\Users\antony>gpg-connect-agent
>> GETINFO version
>D 2.1.20
>OK
>> bye
>OK closing connection
>
>The following options are in
>"C:\Users\antony\AppData\Roaming\gnupg\gpg-agent.conf":
>
>default-cache-ttl 300
>max-cache-ttl 3000
>enable-putty-support
>disable-scdaemon
>daemon
>
>I have the keygrip listed in sshcontrol (the file was not created on
>its own, I created it manually).
>
>When I try to connect to the server with putty using the "Attempt
>authentication using Pageant" option, I just get "Disconnected: No
>supported authentication methods available. (server sent: publickey)".
>I was of the understanding that gpg-agent would act as a replacement
>for Pageant in this mode.
>
>I have the public key in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file and can log in
>successfully using ssh and gpg-agent on Linux. Before I added
>"disable-scdaemon", gpg-agent would complain that it couldn't find the
>key on the card (I've never had one). Since adding that option, that
>error has gone away, but it still does not work and gpg-agent doesn't
>provide any helpful output. The keygrip named file exists in
>private-keys-v1.d, so the key is there. Any help in further
>troubleshooting the issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if
>this has been answered before. I looked through the archives and
>googled around a bit, but couldn't find anything to point me in the
>right direction.

That is a very old version of Putty.

Latest news

2017-02-21 PuTTY 0.68 released, containing ECC, a 64-bit build, and
security fixes

PuTTY 0.68, released today, supports elliptic-curve cryptography for
host keys, user authentication keys, and key exchange. Also, for the
first time, it comes in a 64-bit Windows version.

0.68 also contains some security fixes: a vulnerability in agent
forwarding is fixed, and Windows DLL hijacking should no longer be
possible.

--
Jerry