Trouble installing Version 2.1 on Debian Jessie

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Apr 30 18:01:13 CEST 2017

On Sun 2017-04-30 11:45:12 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> This is no longer the case; GnuPG 2.1 is in Debian unstable (and has
> been for a while).
>
> Just installing that from unstable, however, will have bad side effects
> for other software on your system, so I recommend against it (see also
> https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian)

I agree with Wouter here.

> Instead, it's better to run a backport. First, remove the experimental
> repositories, and add a deb-src line for testing to your sources.list.
> Then, run:
>
> apt-get build-dep gnupg
> apt-get -b source gnupg
>
> This will take a while. If all goes well, and there are no dependencies
> needed from unstable (I haven't checked), you'll end up with gnupg
> packages that you can install on your jessie machine.

There are actually several different backports needed to make this work,
and it's non-trivial, which is why i haven't gone ahead with the full
backport myself yet -- my focus is currently on upstream and on stretch
itself.

I agree with the other poster in this thread that if you want GnuPG 2.1
on debian, you should really be using stretch itself today.

   --dkg