key_confusion

mizett at elude.in mizett at elude.in
Wed Aug 30 17:40:26 CEST 2017

hi all,

i do not clearly understand the difference between .asc , .gpg , .sign ,
.sig , cert and do not know the official_usage & conventions.
i made my own research before but ... unsuccessfully.

i built my curve keys using these commands_options (added a sign subkey
and gnupg auto-signed it), armor my public one then export it as file :
$ gpg --expert --full-gen-key
> long_upperlowernumberspecial
$ gpg --quick-add-key fpr ed25519 sign
$ gpg --list-sigs
> 25519
$ gpg --output public.key --armor --export fpr
$ gpg --armor --export you at example.com
> public.asc

key is also a certificate if i understood well what i read.
it looks like :
	- gnupg uses public.key for being exported on a server_internal operation.
	- gnupg uses public.asc for being exported on an
e-mail/mailing-list_external
operation.
	- gnupg uses cert for server/vpn = multiple keys
	- key = gpg = cert ?
	- cert = sign = sig = every keys (subkeys included)
	- cert = gpg = soft/file encrypted
	- cert = asc = sign = sig = gpg = gpg2 ?
--- is it not the same ?

i do not clearly understand the difference between .cert .asc , .gpg ,
.sign , .sig and do not know the official_usage & conventions.
- could i rename the public.* as .sign and what is the difference using
.sig ?
- could i export the public.key on the hkps-server or must i use the
public.asc ?
- could i rename public.asc in public.gpg2 ?
... and the same questions come in my mind about the *SUMS files.
... and the same confusion about user-id , fpr , e-mail :
--- is it not the same ?

if there are strict conventions/rules it should be a better idea to
clarify & compartment the usage no ?
have you a link where all these embarrassing questions are clearly
explained ?

thx.

OFF-TOPIC : could gnupg add a special option in his settings/option :
quantum resistant ?
I mean an embedded version of codecrypt.