Estonian e-residency

Richard Ulrich ricul77 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 10:37:00 CET 2017

Hi Andrew,

of course it is better to directly sign the key.
And it is also better if there is a short path in the web of trust.
But my use case is for when there is no path at all in the web of
trust.

Most people I know don't even have a GPG key. And of the ones that have
a key, chances are high that they don't have any signatures on it.

So we sometimes resort to keybase.io. There the key is verified by some
social media. Sure, if the social media profile have existed for some
years and have some legitimate looking interactions, it is a good
indicator that its not a face account.
But still, I would trust a government verification more than social
media.

For example I bought a car last week with Bitcoin. The person that
handled the payment for the seller was not present, but gave me his
keybase.io user name on the phone. He signed the email containing the
Bitcoin address for the payments with his GPG key.
He didn't have any signatures on his key.
In this scenario I'm grateful for every piece of validation to give the
key more credibility.

Rgds
Richard