Is NFC Appropriate?

Dr. Basil Becker basil at basilbecker.de
Fri Feb 10 01:18:07 CET 2017

Hello,

On 09.02.2017 23:46, Adam Sherman wrote:
> On 2017-02-09 11:15 AM, Adam Sherman wrote:
>> Is it reasonable and appropriate to use a sub-key on an NFC-capable
>> SmartCard, such as the YubiKey Neo[3], in conjunction with K9
>> Mail[4]?
>
> Re-reading my own post, I realize that I was not clear on my actual
> question. Let me rephrase:
>
> Is using an NFC Smart Card with a smart phone for PGP secure? What
> pitfalls exist?

I'm not going to answer your question directly, but if you're unsure
about NFC's reliability, you could start with USB on-the-go [1]. This
way you could keep your already existing Yubikey 4, which also allows
stronger keys than the Yubikey NEO.

Cheers,
Basil

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go