Questions about --throw-keyids

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 14 01:23:37 CET 2017

On Mon 2017-02-13 18:35:17 -0500, Bjarni Runar Einarsson wrote:
> Sounds like a nice optimization... but option bloat is a thing too.

for an API, there's nothing wrong with explicitly specifying the thing
that people should *want* to be doing as a separate interface.

GnuPG has some level of difficulty because it's trying to offer both an
API and a user interface.  For this discussion, i think we're pretty
clearly talking about the API, though.

> ... of exactly what you just said. I'm not doing this now (and one of
> my original questions was whether GnuPG uses any such logic itself),
> but if I do start throwing away keyIDs, I'll be exploring strategies
> like this to ensure that at least Mailpile users have a pleasant
> experience.

You don't get the luxury to decide on this transition yourself, i'm
afraid.  Mailpile has to deal with *other* MUAs doing throw-keyids, just
like those other MUAs have to deal with it if/when Mailpile starts doing
it :/

     --dkg