Expanding web-of-trust with subkey

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Wed Feb 15 12:51:22 CET 2017

On 02/15/2017 04:02 AM, Didrik Nordström wrote:

> So.. Do I need access to my master key in order to expand my web of
> trust? This seems like quite a restriction.

Yes, although you can generate a local CA key to use for this purpose
for short term validity considerations used for local signatures.

For the visible WoT (i.e one others can use in their determination),
having this limited is a very good thing. And it is one of the
constructs that makes it possible to rotate subkeys due to compromise
(e.g loss of a smartcard) without needing to revoke the full primary key.

> How do you handle key management? Let's say you just want to send a
> signed and encrypted email once to someone who announced their pubkey
> over https? What type of trust would you assign?

no trust, that goes to the ability to verify third parties. Local CA and
local (non-exportable) signature

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand