Download of public keys

sivmu at web.de sivmu at web.de
Fri Feb 17 19:00:04 CET 2017

Am 17.02.2017 um 17:31 schrieb Kristian Fiskerstrand:
> On 02/17/2017 01:37 PM, sivmu at web.de wrote:
>> Is there something I missed or is this unintended?
>
> gnupg does not ship an installed dirmngr.conf, when no keyserver is
> specified it defaults to hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net, the
> existence of a (I presume) arch installed dirmngr.conf changes this
> behavior.
>
> Whether that is intended or not is a question for your distribution's
> package maintainer.

Arch does not ship a dirmngr.conf either as far as I can see.

When running the gpg command for the first time on a new system, the dirmngr.conf file is creates together with some other files.

I just tested it again on ubuntu 16.04.2 and the same file appear in the gnupg directory, so it does not seem to be a distribution issue.

It seems that gnupg does ship this template file as dirmngr-conf.skel although I am not sure if the distributions have anything to do with it being copied to the user directory.

In any case, it might be a good idea to change the template gnupg ships

Changing the lines:

keyserver hkp://jirk5u4osbsr34t5.onion
keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net

keyserver hkps://jirk5u4osbsr34t5.onion
keyserver hkps://keys.gnupg.net

would solve this I guess.

I will although check with the arch maintainer about this to be sure but I do not think this is a distro issue