Hybrid keysigning party, your opinion?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Feb 18 16:15:04 CET 2017

Hello Lachlan,

On 15/02/17 14:32, Lachlan Gunn wrote:
> Given the discussion on the list before, now that CCC has come and gone
> I'm curious as to how well this worked.

It failed on a trivial point: by the Friday before the congress, I had only
received four signups. A list with five keys is a poor list indeed. I switched
the model to the classic "bring keyslips" model.

> Is it an innovation worth
> perpetuating?

I think it would work. I'd like to try again.

In fact, given that we don't need to place trust in the paper copies, I think it
would actually work if I kept sign-up open until just before the party, and
printed a stack of "scrubbed" lists myself to hand out. However, it was my
feeling that some people would not feel comfortable with this brand-spanking-new
"no need to trust me, really! Have my stuff" type of lists, so I didn't do that.
I intended to cater to the untrusting crowd by giving them enough time to print
their own lists and do it the in the usual Sassaman Efficient way.

Given that this would have, on the flip side, catered to the handful of people
who showed up without keyslips, perhaps it would still be a fair tradeoff for
limiting the untrusting people in their possibilities.

You could receive sign-ups by e-mail until the latest moment, and you would
print the untrusted lists so anybody who didn't bring any keyslips could still
be on that list by signing up.

Note that there is no value judgement in how I use "untrusting" here, it's just
a way to sum up a group of people in a single adjective.

Next opportunity for a keysigning party for me will be SHA 2017, starting the
4th of August in Zeewolde, The Netherlands[1].
O Come, All Ye Hackful! Adeste Fiddle-es[2]!

Cheers,

Peter.

[1] <https://sha2017.org/>
[2] Fiddle-es: those who tinker.