SHA1 collision found

Glenn Rempe glenn at rempe.us
Fri Feb 24 19:26:14 CET 2017

If you read the announcement Google never uses the words "completely broken" that you attribute to them. I believe that was someone else's characterization.

Mis-attribution and name calling can also be unhelpful.

Google's security team has been the driving force behind two major security issues this week alone (SHA1 and Cloudflare) and with SHA1 they made concrete something that was only theoretical before. Let's give credit where credit is due.