help

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue Feb 28 00:35:31 CET 2017

Hi,

On 02/27/2017 04:07 PM, rsvx at riseup.net wrote:
> I'll use my master key offline. Following this guidelines:
> https://incenp.org/notes/2015/using-an-offline-gnupg-master-key.html
>
> I also implemented the Appelbaum's config.(Riseup Best Practices) Will
> it work properly if the Master Key isn't on my machine?

It should.

Note, however, that Riseup's Best Practices [1] and proposed
configuration file [2] are partially obsolete, *especially* if you are
using GnuPG 2.1. Many of the proposed options and advices are not needed
anymore, as GnuPG already does The Right Thing.

> And the following faults are coming:
>  gpg: keyserver option 'ca-cert-file' is obsolete; please use
> 'hkp-cacert' in dirmngr.conf

If you're using the sks-keyservers.net pool you no longer need to
provide GnuPG with the CA certificate file, as it is now bundled with
GnuPG (>= 2.1.11) and automatically used when needed. (And with GnuPG >=
2.1.16 you will no longer even need to explicity set the keyserver
option, as hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net is already the default.)

> gpg: keyserver option 'no-try-dns-srv' is unknown

This option no longer exists, but I *think* that if you really want to,
you can disable SRV lookups by explicitly specifying a port number when
setting the keyserver, as in:

   keyserver hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net:443

Damien

--
[1] https://riseup.net/en/security/message-security/openpgp/best-practices
[2]