gpg-agent has to be restarted after GnuPG SmartCard pulled from reader

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jan 4 18:51:49 CET 2017

I think you should be able to use this card reader without pcscd, using the
internal CCID driver of GnuPG[1]. Just stop and disable pcscd, hopefully GnuPG
will find the reader and use it right away. That might solve your problem. I use
GnuPG's internal CCID driver, and it is completely resilient against both
pulling the card as well as unplugging the reader.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] https://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/ch02s02.html