gpg-agent has to be restarted after GnuPG SmartCard pulled from reader

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Jan 6 12:23:26 CET 2017

On 06/01/17 09:30, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 01/06/2017 10:06 AM, gnupg-users.dirk at o.banes.ch wrote:
>> p.s. in the meantime a made a script which tails the scdaemon.log and
>> waits for "Removal of a card:"
>> and then kills the gpg-agent. Not a proper solution - but working so far.
>
> Why not use udev rule to watch for removal event?

Indeed.

Dirk,

I suspect you don't need to kill gpg-agent, just pcscd. I had to do the
same thing when I used an ACS USB reader on my work laptop, because it
already had a built in full-size reader that I couldn't use (I had
already punched out the SIM) but which would override the (removable)
USB reader because it was always found at startup.

Put the following in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules (one line) :

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="072f",
ATTR{idProduct}=="90cc", RUN+="/usr/sbin/service pcscd restart"

You will need to change the idVendor and idProduct to match your
hardware - these can be found using `lsusb` while the reader is plugged in.