gpg-agent has to be restarted after GnuPG SmartCard pulled from reader

gnupg-users.dirk at o.banes.ch gnupg-users.dirk at o.banes.ch
Fri Jan 6 22:53:42 CET 2017

Hi all,

thank you Damien and Werner for your recent replies.
Even if the reader is performing o.k. now to my amassment.
When I used the feature to create the keys on the card I ran to some
strange and not reproducible problems.
I think this is what Werner refers to. Once I decided to create the keys
on my PC and uploaded them to the Card everything works fine.

For the time being I think the solution is to go for scd-event. This
obviously beats to tail the logs. I will try this as soon I will get to it.

However - for me it really looks like the scdaemon or gpg-agent are not
handling the existing events correctly. It might be worth looking into
it as well.
I will not rule out misconfiguration by ubuntu or myself.

Recent publications are giving up on PGP/GPG which is clearly wrong in
my humble opinion. The key questions is for all crypto -> how to
securely store your key.
Even if SmartCards and alike (Yubikey) are "old fashioned" and geek
technology I think for security they are irreplaceable.

Thanks and best regards

Dirk