Feature request: treat missing smartcard reader as missing smartcard

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Wed Jan 18 00:21:18 CET 2017

Peter Lebbing <peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:
> For instance, if I open an encrypted mail in Thunderbird/Enigmail, I see
> the following:
>
> - Card reader is plugged in but no card or different card present in reader:
>
> I am prompted to insert the correct OpenPGP card. Once I do this and
> okay the prompt, decryption is succesful.
>
> - Card reader not plugged in:
>
> Empty message window with Enigmail error on the lines of "Decryption
> failed. No secret key available."

Good point.

In the development branch, I'm currently working for multiple card/token
support (currently only with internal CCID driver).  And I also happened
to notice this difference this month.

Now in the repo (master), signing and decryption work well with multiple
card/token and a user is prompted when there is no relevant card/token.

This is just a lucky coincidence, but I'm glad to see the development of
GnuPG goes well.

Thank you for your support of GnuPG.  Your support encourages me
(hopefully, all of us) fixing bugs and adding feature(s).