Changing passphrase parameters (s2k options)

John Lane gnupg at jelmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:54:02 CET 2017

On 23/01/17 11:22, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> It's close to what you're talking about, but not exactly. That is
> specifically about *exporting* an OpenPGP secret key, not how it is
> *stored* in your keyring. The protection on private-keys-v1.d is
> implemented differently than the protection of the OpenPGP standard
> which is used for export.

Ok, so - if I understand you correctly - when I *export* the secret key
I can choose which algorithms are applied to the exported copy ?

So I tried:

    $ gpg --export-secret-key my-key | gpg --list-packets | grep S2K
    gnu-dummy S2K, algo: 0, simple checksum, hash: 0
    iter+salt S2K, algo: 7, SHA1 protection, hash: 2, salt: ...
    iter+salt S2K, algo: 7, SHA1 protection, hash: 2, salt: ...

(I presume the first line is like that because the primary secret isn't
in my ring)

Then:

    $ gpg --export-secret-key --s2k-cipher-algo AES256 --s2k-digest-algo
SHA512 my-key | gpg --list-packets | grep S2K
    gnu-dummy S2K, algo: 0, simple checksum, hash: 0
    iter+salt S2K, algo: 7, SHA1 protection, hash: 2, salt: ...
    iter+salt S2K, algo: 7, SHA1 protection, hash: 2, salt: ...

Surely I would expect it to look like

    iter+salt S2K, algo: 9, SHA512 protection, hash: 10, salt: ...

Thanks.