Mail address to account conversion (keybase.io)

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Jan 25 19:10:56 CET 2017

On 25/01/17 14:51, Felix Van der Jeugt wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently, keybase.io stopped their email forwarding service. Now, my
> noctua at keybase.io uid can no longer receive email. I'd normally revoke
> the uid, but my account, keybase.io/noctua, can still receive messages
> through the website.
>
> I'm in a dilemma now: should I revoke the uid because the email address
> is invalid? It's nice to have a reference to the account in my key,
> though.

If the ID still "belongs" to you (in some meaningful sense) then
there's no need to revoke it just because it is unusable for the
purposes of email. It is merely a convention that IDs correspond to
email addresses. If your keybase account still exists, has a 1-to-1
mapping with that ID, and is still under your control, then IMO it's
legitimate to keep the ID - particularly if it is used as a reference
point for other things. The presence of an ID on a public key makes no
claim as to whether the ID is usable for a particular purpose. True,
people might try to email you on that ID, but the worst that will
happen is they get a bounce (and you have other, usable IDs on the same
pubkey I assume).

Andrew.