sha1 pgp fingerprint

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Thu Jan 26 11:20:58 CET 2017

On 01/26/2017 12:47 AM, sivmu wrote:
> The question I have not yet found any clear answer for, is why is nobody
> talking about this and should pgp keys be identified by a stronger hash
> alogrithm in the future?

People *do* talk about this. But a change of the hash algorithm used for
fingerprinting keys cannot be decided unilateraly by GnuPG developers.
All OpenPGP implementations have to agree on such a change, that's why
the discussions occur on the IETF OpenPGP mailing list.

See for example those threads:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg08265.html

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg08693.html