Changing PINs of German bank card

Guan Xin guanx.bac at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 04:18:22 CEST 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> ... and that would very often be either 1234[56] or the card owner's
> date of birth as we all know. A random 4-digit PIN randomly chosen by
> the bank is certainly safer than this.
>
> Yes, that's true.

> German banks require you to destroy the PIN letter after memorizing the
> PIN. You are not supposed to keep the letter. If you want to follow
> their method then write your PIN on a piece of paper, memorize the PIN
> and then burn or eat the piece of paper. ;-)
>
> Sometimes they circulate the permanent PIN for two weeks in German Post
before delivery. Looks like I'm the last to read it.

Two  other advantages (correct me if I'm mistaken) of self-invented PINs
are, I think,
1) One can prepare and remember the PIN in advance, so there is practically
no need to write it down;
2) A PIN letter is only something I have, while my own PIN record is in
addition something I know. i.e., it may not be obvious to someone else to
be a PIN record / reminder.