Changing PINs of German bank card

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Wed Jul 12 08:09:06 CEST 2017

On 11.07.2017 21:09, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Why 1234 is an idiotic PIN? What are idiotic PINs? Of course, idiotic is
> any PIN which has in your pocket hints about this (like a sticker attached
> or your birthday). But remember, you normally have 3 tries only to test
> all "idiotic" PINs. 1234 is same idiotic as 2345 or as 3456 or .... or as
> 6666, or 7777, or ...

According to my understanding, the most idiotic PIN exactly is the one
with the highest probability of being guessed, in other words, the one
that is most often used by other people as well.

You are right in a mathematical sense, but you leave out the human
factor. If all people would choose their PINs freely, PINs for sure were
not equally distributed. 10% of the pins would be 1111, another 10%
1234, another 30% their owner's birthday and so on.

A little bit of statistics (your name sounds German):
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/unsichere-pin-codes-erwischt-1.1486312

I don't have time for a thorough research right now, but this article
gives us an idea. I don't think the situation has changed much since
2012 ...

Regards,

Binarus