Changing PINs of German bank card

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Thu Jul 13 08:18:41 CEST 2017

On 13.07.2017 01:23, MFPA wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 July 2017 at 3:15:09 PM, in
> <mid:3a6ef797-5e26-7b2c-d740-ee85d9750534 at binarus.de>, Binarus wrote:-
>

>> (if the
>> PIN needs to be
>> stored at all in some backend which I doubt).
>
> The Bank must know the PIN (or a hash). Otherwise they would not know
> if you entered the correct PIN for online transactions.

I don't think so. Banking chip cards contain mechanisms for local PIN
verification. You can see that an ATM (or the card) immediately decides
if the PIN is correct or not even if the ATM's network connection is
failing at that moment.

Banking chip cards furthermore contain a processor and software for
cryptographic operations, so that the endless capabilities of modern
cryptography are at hand. Think of asymmetric methods like RSA ...

Regards,

Binarus