Certification-only key

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Jun 2 17:03:15 CEST 2017

On 2017/06/02 14:06, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 02/06/17 14:42, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> However, if I publish the secret signing subkey after it expires,
>> the cryptographic certainty is gone.
>
> Heh, that's an interesting take on it. Thanks for sharing it.

The main motivation for publishing a signing secret after use is
repudiability. But for that to work properly, your correspondents need
to know that you've published the secret, and you also need to have
confidence that they know. Synchronous protocols like OTR do this
well. PGP is highly asynchronous, with typically very infrequent key
refresh cycles, and intentionally publishing secret material - even for
revoked keys - runs the risk of your correspondents getting scammed
during the refresh interval.