PGP for official documents / eIDAS and ZertES

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 2 21:39:51 CEST 2017

On Wed, 31 May 2017 19:34, ankostis at gmail.com said:

> More detailed, from the three standards supported, only the last one,
> XML-sig, supports PGP: https://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-PGPData

That looks pretty much like a re-specification of PKCS#15 which also has
provisions for PGP and SPKI.  However, I have never seen an
implementation of that and the whole spec is heavily underspecified to
actually implement something based on this.  PKCS#15 at least tried to
unify existing protocols for tokens.

|  >>I have some questions related to XML-Dsig:
|  >
|  >Argghh!! Run away!
|
|  A near-universal reaction.

XML crypto can be summarized as
we-repeat-all-bugs-the-other-two-protocols-meanwhile-fixed-and-add-extra-complexity-for-even-more-fun
See also <https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/xmlsec.txt>

If someone really likes that stuff and want to give it a try, I would
suggest to write it along the lines of GnuPG's gpgsm tool so that it has
a similar external interface.  Adding this tool to GPGME would then be
the simple part.

SCNR,

   Werner

ps. I already have my share of grey hair from implementing X.509/CMS.
    There is not enough left for an XML crypto endeavor.