Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jun 7 11:10:55 CEST 2017

On 06/06/17 20:46, Charlie Jonas wrote:
> On 2017-06-06 19:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
>> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".
>
> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give keys,
> Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue regardless.

You mean with "Set Owner's Trust of Sender's Key" in Enigmail? That's
the wrong one. There's key validity and owner's trust. Key validity is
about whether you believe the key belongs to the person indicated.
Owner's trust is to what extent you trust that person to correctly
verify other people's identities.

You should sign the key to make it valid, not set its owner's trust.
It's a common misconception.

HTH,

Peter.