Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Stefan Claas stefan.claas at posteo.de
Mon Jun 12 16:14:16 CEST 2017

On 12.06.17 16:06, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 12/06/17 14:52, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> I just checked again. On my Mac and on my Windows Notebook
>> i get a green bar , from a blue "Untrusted" key when i go into
>> Enigmails Key Management and set the trust of that key to
>> Ultimate...
> Don't do this! Or did you do it just for testing? "Ultimate" is for your
> own keys. It makes the key itself valid and all keys signed by that key.
> It's the odd one out, as the other trust levels only determine the
> validity of other keys signed by that key but don't affect the key itself.
>
> To make a key valid, sign it with a local signature. Or an exportable
> signature, your choice.

I did that for testing! And a question for this... If Mallory would get
somehow access to my Computer and replace one pub key from my
communication partners with a fake one and sets the trust level to
Ultimate. How can i detect this, if i'm not always looking at the
complete Fingerprint and compare it with a separate list?

Regards
Stefan