Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Jun 12 17:28:47 CEST 2017

> I agree with you and it makes perfect sense, but then it would raise
> another question. How should an average user of GnuPG, like me,
> then handle this.

It cannot be the job of the GnuPG team to teach people how to safely
administer their operating system.  There are too many operating
systems, too many different threat models, too many different use cases,
for anyone to go down that rabbit-hole.

Some generally good advice might include:

- Keep your operating system up to date
- Disable Flash in your browser
- Disable Java Web Start in your browser
- Install ad blocking and tracker blocking plugins into your browser
- Only run software from trusted sources
- Only use USB thumb drives with machines you trust
- Only use USB thumb drives that came from trusted sources