GnuPG card && using the backup secret key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 13 11:58:51 CEST 2017

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:12, guru at unixarea.de said:

> create some backup of the secret key into a file. It is totally unclear
> to me how to make something usefull out of this file, for example import
> it into a "normal" secret keyring to use it in case of the GnuPG acrd

To try it you best insert a new or scratch card.  Make sure your
_public key_ exists.  Then run

  gpg --edit-key YOURKEY

and at the prompt enter

  bkuptocard FILENAME

the FILENAME is the sk_foo file.  You will then be asked where to store
the key on the card (Signing, encryption, or authentication key).

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner