How to join pubring.kbx and pubring.gpg?

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Fri Jun 16 16:52:32 CEST 2017

On 16.06.2017 14:46, Juan Miguel Navarro Martínez wrote:

[..]
> If you want to use OpenPGP, tell your partner to make an OpenPGP
> certificate using GnuPG or any OpenPGP supported software. You can them
> make PGP/Inline or PGP/MIME (if your email client/plugin supports it,
> Enigmail does) email.
[...]
> Enigmail only works with OpenPGP-related keys.
> gpg4win is only a suite of GnuPG related software, with GPGSM for the
> management of X.509 certs. Kleopatra is only a front-end GUI client for
> both OpenPGP and X.509 operations with the respecting GnuPG tools.
[...]
> As said above, if your partner uses X.509 then use X.509. If you want to
> use OpenPGP tell him to make an OpenPGP key.
[...]
> If he tries to decrypt a PGP/Inline or PGP/MIME message using an S/MIME
> client it won't work. He'll need a PGP/Inline or PGP/MIME compatible
> software for that (Thunderbird with Enigmail; Claws Mail, Mutt, etc...).
[...]
> It was announced on the mail-list of Gpg4Win. But you can also find the
> Beta directory link in the mid part of "All Downloads" section in the
> Download page.
[...]
> And to reiterate again, Enigmail, as far as I know, will only support
> OpenPGP certificate or keys.
> Gpg4Win supports X.509 by using the GPGSM CLI tool or Kleopatra as a GUI
> front-end but for S/MIME emails I would recommend an email client like
> Thunderbird.

Again, thank you very much for your time. I have got it now. I will just
use S/MIME to communicate with that partner.

Please see my previous post for a detailed explanation why I have been
worried so much (although it has been clear to me since a long time that
S/MIME and PGP are different things).

To make a long story short, my partner first asked me if I would like to
use PGP or S/MIME (I answered "PGP"), and then claimed that the
certificate he provided was a "PGP certificate".

Furthermore, I wouldn't have come to the idea that gpgsm handled S/MIME
certificates (although I am now understanding why it is named gpg>SM<
:-)). In my naive world, GnuPG software (and gpgsm obviously falls into
that category) dealt only with PGP, not with S/MIME. Worlds change ...

For that three reasons, I did not even consider that the certificate my
partner provided could be an S/MIME certificate, but believed that it
would be some sort of a "new, modern PGP certificate". If I only had
known that earlier ...

Sorry for the lengthy posts, and again: Thanks you very much!

Binarus