With which key did I sign my encrypted file?

Mike Schleif mike at mdsresource.net
Tue Mar 28 16:22:10 CEST 2017

My company uses several keys for signing files encrypted with one of many
recipient public keys.

Once in awhile, we get pushback from a recipient that they cannot decrypt
our file, and sometimes they claim it is because the encrypted file is
signed.

Yesterday, I took the same file, encrypted it and signed it, as well as
encrypting it without signing it.

$ /usr/bin/gpg --verify signed.pgp
gpg: verify signatures failed: Unexpected error

$ /usr/bin/gpg --verify NO-sign.pgp
gpg: verify signatures failed: Unexpected error

$ /usr/bin/gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.14

What am I missing?

Please, advise. Thank you.