PGP for official documents / eIDAS and ZertES

Rainer Hoerbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Wed May 31 13:54:50 CEST 2017

Hi Daniel,

The eIDAS regulation is replacing the national e-signature laws to make signatures (besides other other things) interoperable across borders. While the law is fairly technology-neutral, the implementation acts have to reference specific technologies, which are CMS, PDF- and XML signature, but not PGP-signature.

Beyond that, even if the EU would include PGP signatures, the technical interoperability would just be the beginning. There are quite heavy legal and organization layers on top of the technology that assure security levels, notification (mutual acceptance) and cooperation procedures. IMHU none of these exist in the PGP world.

- Rainer