Errors at ECC key generation in non-interactive mode

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed May 31 21:47:08 CEST 2017

Hi Ryru--

On Wed 2017-05-31 18:18:56 +0200, Ryru wrote:

> I get these errors while trying to create a new ECC key:
>
> $ gpg --batch --gen-key Desktop/params-ecc.txt
> gpg: key ABCDEFABCDEFABCD marked as ultimately trusted
> gpg: error reading rest of packet: Invalid argument
> gpg: error reading rest of packet: Invalid argument
> gpg: can't encode a 256 bit MD into a 88 bits frame, algo=8
> gpg: can't encode a 256 bit MD into a 88 bits frame, algo=8
> gpg: revocation certificate stored as
> '~/.gnupg/openpgp-revocs.d/ABCDEFABCDEFABCD.rev'
>
> My parameters are:
>
> $ cat params-ecc.txt
> Key-Type: EdDSA
> Key-Curve: Curve25519
> Key-Length: 256
> Subkey-Type: ECC
> Subkey-Curve: Curve25519
> Subkey-Length: 256
> Name-Real: <name>
> Name-Comment: <comment>
> Name-Email: <mail>
> Passphrase: <password>
> Preferences: S9 S13 S8 S12 S7 S11 S10 H10 H9 H8 Z3 Z2 Z1
> %commit

do you see the same error messages when you use the more modern --quick
command-line syntax?

    fpr=$(gpg --with-colons --quick-gen-key "Test user <test at example.org>" ed25519 | awk -F: '/^fpr:/{ print $10 }')
    gpg --quick-add-key $fpr cv25519

what version of gpg are you running when you see those warnings?

     --dkg