GPG Subkey decryption

MFPA 2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups at riseup.net
Fri Nov 3 01:16:48 CET 2017

On Thursday 2 November 2017 at 2:55:07 AM, in
<mid:1509591307.4120812.1158843272.2D704309 at riseup.net>, John Ramsden
wrote:-

> I think I may be misunderstanding how I'm supposed to
> be decrypting with
> a subkey. From what I thought, the public key should
> be the same on a
> subkey as it is on a primary key. I see the same
> public key when I list
> them on my machine which stores the primary key and
> the machine that
> stores the subkey.

You possibly mean you see the same user-id?

The primary key is a public key with a corresponding private key. Each
subkey is a public key with a corresponding private key. Each subkey
is bound to the primary key by a key binding signature

> I want to send a message to the public key and be
> able to decrypt it on
> any machine where I have any subkey of the primary
> key. I'm encrypting
> from my primary key and using my public key from the
> same key as the
> recipient. Do I have to define multiple recipients
> based on all the
> subkeys? If so where do I find the public key for
> these subkeys that are
> supposed to be the recipient?

GnuPG usually encrypts to the newest available encryption-capable
subkey. Or to the primary key if it is encryption-capable and there
are no encryption-capable subkeys. If you wish to specify the primary
key or a specific subkey you can list as a recipient the (sub)key-id
followed by an exclamation mark.

Something like gpg -ear 0x1CAC08E8DEFAFDFE! -r  0xEAC88A2823F99DEC!

- --
Best regards

MFPA                  <mailto:2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups at riseup.net>

Hard work never killed anyone, but why take a risk?