GnuPGv2 & 'pinentry' on Linux w/ remote access

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Nov 9 09:01:45 CET 2017

On Wed,  8 Nov 2017 12:28, ryan at splintermail.com said:

> Yes, I reset my gpg-agent (killall -1 gpg-agent) each time, and was
> prompted with a pinentry prompt each time.

[ Please use "pkill -HUP gpg-agent" and never ever killall - which has,
  aehm, funny effects on other Unices. ]

  gpgconf --reload gpg-agent

is the suggest way to reload the gpg-agent configuraion and flush the
caches.

> Hm... now that I think about it I think the pinentry prompt has been
> broken in my vim with that plugin for some time (due to improper

Not sure what your problem is but nevertheless here this hint: When
calling gpg you should watch the status fd (commonly stderr,
"--status-fd 2") for a line

  [GNUPG:] PINENTRY_LAUNCHED

and set a flag to redraw your screen after gpg returned.  The other
approach would be to write an vim-internal pinentry in the same way the
pinentry-emacs pinentry works.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner