Using the OpenPGP Card on Unix && Win7

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Nov 19 15:20:16 CET 2017

On 17/11/17 16:09, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> It seems that the USB token is fine, but the Card is not (see
> attachment).

I don't use Windows myself, but AFAIK, this is normal and not a problem.

AFAIK, the exclamation mark triangle on the smartcard means that the OS
has no driver to work with that specific smartcard. But GnuPG
communicates directly with the smartcard; the "driver" so to speak is
inside GnuPG. In fact, if you found another OS-level driver that is
happy to work with your smartcard, you are probably /creating/ an issue
since it will keep a lock on the smartcard so GnuPG no longer can get
access to it. While shared access to a smartcard is not impossible per
se, often you'll find that programs want exclusive access, and you can't
use two programs with the same smartcard at the same time.

An exclamation mark triangle on the /reader/ would probably indicate an
issue, but an exclamation mark triangle on the /smartcard/ is probably
for the best.

Still, I've only used different types of smartcards on Windows, and only
very sporadically, so I don't think I can be of much further help.

HTH,

Peter.