Ask gpg-agent/scdaemon to release a smartcard?

Nicolas Boullis nicolas.boullis at ecp.fr
Fri Nov 24 10:30:44 CET 2017

Hi,

I just got a new Yubikey 4 token, that I’m willing to use for its PIV
applet. Unfotunately, as soon as I connect it, gpg-agent/scdaemon sees
its OpenPGP applet and connects to it. Then, if I try to use the PIV
applet, I get error messages like:
  Failed to connect to card: Reader in use by another application

Is there a way I can ask gpg-agent/scdaemon to release this smartcard,
so I can use it with another application? Or even better some way to
“share” the reader?

Note that killing gpg-agent or completely disabling smartcard support
would not be an option, since I also use an OpenPGP Smart Card.

I also know that I have the option to use my token with
gpg-agent/scdaemon and Scute, but I think more complex to set up for end
users.

Best regards,

--
Nicolas