Complete Ubuntu compile of GnuPG

murphy mac3iii at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 13:40:22 CET 2017

Yes, the permissions and gpg-agent.conf creation is a problem I would
like to find an easy way around.  As it turns out a fresh install of
ubuntu 16.04.3 already has /usr/bin/pinentry-gnome3 installed.  That,
plus the fact that libgnutls28-dev also installs a bunch of stuff on my
bash file means I can reduce it to:

cd ~/Downloads
version=gnupg-2.2.3
wget https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnupg/$version.tar.bz2
wget https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnupg/$version.tar.bz2.sig
tar xf $version.tar.bz2
cd $version
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y libldap2-dev
sudo apt-get install -y gtk+-2
sudo apt-get install -y rng-tools
sudo apt-get install -y libbz2-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libgnutls28-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libsqlite3-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libreadline-dev
sudo apt-get install -y pcscd scdaemon
sudo make -f build-aux/speedo.mk INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
speedo_pkg_gnupg_configure='--enable-g13 --enable-wks-tools
--with-pinentry-pgm=/usr/bin/pinentry-gnome3' native
sudo ldconfig

Of course the line "sudo make -f ... native" is all one line.  This
enables pinentry-gnome3 without having to do a separate creation of
gpg-agent.conf and the whole issue of permissions is avoided.  I would
like to thank Werner, Robert, and Phil for the very helpful suggestions.

murphy