auto-key-retrieve usefulness/annoyance

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 5 09:00:18 CEST 2017

On Wed,  4 Oct 2017 20:01, tlikonen at iki.fi said:

> The result: There's a delay of several seconds every time I open the
> message and in the end my email client (Gnus) says:

I have exactly the same problem but I do it anwyat - there is not much
we can do about it.  The default timeout for such lookups are 2 seconds.
You can lower this to one second using

  connect-quick-timeout 1

in dirmngr.conf.  A bit more annoying keyserver DNS entries with service
records, which will all be tried in turn until one is found.  That can
multiply the timeout.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner