auto-key-retrieve usefulness/annoyance

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 5 21:06:25 CEST 2017

On Thu 2017-10-05 09:00:18 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem but I do it anwyat - there is not much
> we can do about it.  The default timeout for such lookups are 2 seconds.
> You can lower this to one second using
>
>   connect-quick-timeout 1

A more user-friendly approach (setting aside current architecture and
privacy concerns) would be to fire off a retrieval in the background and
to return immediately with seomthing like "unknown key, retrieval
attempted…"

Even better would be to have some sort of asynchronous callback that
happens after the key is effectively retreived, so that whatever user
interface displays the response could update when (if) the key comes in.

gpg isn't currently constructed to do this kind of asynchronous user
interaction, however.

             --dkg