FAQ and GNU

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 10 08:26:10 CEST 2017

On Mon 2017-10-09 22:06:17 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> A request has been made that each instance of "Linux" in the FAQ be
> replaced with "GNU/Linux".
>
> I'm not inclined to make this change.  However, in order to make sure
> that the FAQ reflects the community's wishes, I'm submitting the
> proposal here for community feedback.
>
> If anyone has strong feelings on it one way or another, chime in.

Is there a specific patch to consider?  I wouldn't agree to a blind
s~Linux~GNU/Linux~g replacement, but for specific instances it's likely
to be a quite reasonable request.

Not all instances of "Linux" are generically replaceable by GNU/Linux --
for instance, if we're talking specifically about the kernel, then it
should remain just Linux (e.g. "Android uses the Linux kernel").
However, if the GnuPG FAQ is talking about an operating system built
from the Linux kernel and the GNU userland (coreutils, libc, etc), then
"GNU/Linux" is not only the respectful term to use, it's the more
accurate and precise term.

Note that GnuPG also builds against (and runs on) other operating
systems that use GNU but do *not* use Linux, such as Debian's
GNU/kFreeBSD and GNU/Hurd ports.

   https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
   https://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/

The FAQ should be both accurate and precise.  We don't want users
thinking that GnuPG will run on Android just because Android is a Linux
operating system.

Regards,

        --dkg